Monday, August 10, 2009

My Journy Here

I'll keep this short and sweet. Nursing school was a challenge for me. Not so much because the material was hard to learn but because I often felt as if the school wanted to fail me (well all of us really). I felt like even after I jumped through all their burning hoops they would find one more thing I needed to do! Little did I know they were just preparing me for the real world of a working nurse....

I pictured graduating and finding a great job! I would work with all kinds of nurses who all wanted to teach me everything they know- the Dr's would explain each medication or treatment plan- my boss would search me out to ensure I was doing OK- my patients would be grateful to have a caring nurse like me- HA!

I quickly learned that many nurses don't like the new nurse (just because she is new) as a matter of fact I should have listened to the warning "nurses eat their young"
- Doctors often don't have answers (or want to share them with you) if you even see them (good luck reading the scribble they leave you as they sneak in and out the nurses station)
-my boss isn't so bad (when I can find her)
-And most patients are more concerned with the amount of ice in their pitcher than the IV drip that your hanging (to keep them alive)

These were all lessons I learned right away (many years ago)- - - Yes I am still dealing with many of the same problems but the shock of it all has worn off me! Nothing surprises me! That can be looked at as a good thing or a bad thing. I try to think of it as a good thing- I now have time to appreciate the few good moments I get to be a part of.

That is were this page is coming from- I want to share good, bad, sad, and surprising moments with all my fellow nurses- - I want to hear from all of you-- what your dealing with or enjoying day to day!

Listen to me ~ Vent to me ~ Give advice ~ Complain about the lousy food on midnights~ Share happy, sad, or angry moments with all of us out there!

We are all nurses-- sharing the lifestyle of a nurse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment