Monday, August 17, 2009

Past their Prime Nurses

Past their prime nurses in my mind is not based solely on age. I work with some older nurses who are still great nurses! Past their prime in mind mind is referring to the nurses who have no passion left in them. They don't care when they loose a pt, if the pt is in pain, or if they need someone to talk to. These are the nurses that you'll never get to answer a call light and if they must enter the room (say to pass a pill) they manage to do in less than a minute. They are in and out of the room so quickly they (i believe intentionally) do not learn anything about the pt! I believe many of these nurses are still loaded with knowledge and could be great at their jobs..if they didn't avoid pt contact and doing their jobs!

These nurses do however have two skills that I have not mastered (not planing to because they drive me nuts!)
1) they seems to be able to assess their pts through walls or from door ways! I swear I never seem them come any closer! I often wonder how the hell they do it all from the hallway!

2)They can get some of the newer nurses, nursing students, or CNAs to do just about all of their work! I actually think they work harder on getting others to do their work than I do actually doing my work!

I just keep asking myself "Am I the only person who sees this" when management is looking to cut costs or increase productivity...are these nurses ever on the list! If they aren't the should be!
Do these nurses even realize what they are doing? Do they deep down think they are still doing a good job? or do they deep down think about how mach they hate their jobs? I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment